Friday, January 31, 2014

Letter to the DGP..Source - Deccan Chronicle

Hie Friends,

Here is one wonderful article which I've come across in Deccan Chronicle in the recent times where in one of the highest officials of the police, the DGP himself  passed few comments regarding the ongoing harassment and unstoppable attacks on girls..

He blames that the mistake is entirely with the girls whose dressing sense etc provoke men's thoughts.. Honestly speaking I don't support to whatever he said.. Here is one such person who wrote to the officials with a lot of boldness.. Kudos to her.. Go ahead with the letter...

" Mr. DGP, so you refuse to protect me if I wear a mini-skirt?

Our Honourable DGP, Dinesh Reddy, passed a statement today with reference to the growing number of rapes and atrocities against women saying “It isn't a failure of the police force but the way girls nowadays are dressing" Excuse me, but, since when has dressing sense become a criterion for justice to be delivered?

A 40-year-old man attempted to rape a six year old girl in Vizag. The girl MUST have dressed provocatively at age 6. Parkwood International School’s director is alleged to have raped more than one of his students. Uniform is DEFINITELY inappropriate dressing, I suppose.

More than 50 per cent of rape cases are not urban.

Are you telling us rural women are wearing mini-skirts too? Oh, it’s probably the tribal women you’re talking about, right. A 12-year-old Dalit girl in Vizag was raped twice by her neighbourhood youth but the police, instead of taking action against the culprits, forced her sign a compromise letter in the police station. Did you find her clothing inappropriate, sir?In a desperate attempt to save your force’s face, conceal their incompetence, you decide to tell us that if we get raped, it’s our fault.
Yes, girls dress ‘inappropriately’ at parties at nightclubs. Who issues permissions for these nightclubs, I wonder.

Mumaith Khan decides to shed a little extra piece of clothing in every movie. Who does the censoring, I wonder.

Women in provocative poses in absolutely unrelated advertisement hoardings are seen at most traffic junctions. Who checks on the regulation for these hoardings, I wonder.
If a guy looks at such a hoarding and is driven to molest a college girl at a bus stop, it is the girl’s fault right?

As a matter of fact, Mr.DGP’s statement is an insult to men too. He goes on about “men being provoked”.

Excuse me, sir, but that was a long time ago. An era where men used to be provoked by just 'looking' at the opposite sex. I believe we are civilized now. Much more civilized.

Sadly, sir, you seem to be still be stuck in that era. I beg you to not make men sound like deranged perverts.
What is appropriate dressing, anyway?
As soon as I turn 14, is wearing a skirt going to be deemed inappropriate for me? Maybe we should start imposing bans on all the skinny jeans in malls. Girls in salwar-kameez are NOT harmed ever, right?
I am a girl in the 21st century and I DECIDE what I want to wear. Yes, I dress attractively. Supposing a guy does find me attractive then, does that give the guy a right to go ahead and do anything he wants?
You justify your statement saying even colleges have dress codes these days. Do you mean to impose a dress code on every girl in the state? Guys can walk bare chested. No problem, of course not, right? Lungis are extremely appropriate? I beg to differ, Mr.DGP.
It comes down to this. Women have been vulnerable in the society and continue to be. I wish you and your officers could man up and elevate our position a little bit. Take immediate action against all wrongdoers. Let me not be scared of acid bottles and razors.

Instead, if you tell me you’re going to decide my closet.

Mr.DGP. You could soon wake up to a Slutwalk in front of your house.

- The writer is a 17-year-old girl from Hyderabad."

Regards,
Sriram Mallik Mocherla.

0 comments:

Post a Comment